New Roaming Calls and SMS Charges on May 1 by TRAI
TRAI reduces ceiling tariffs for national roaming service and mandates a special roaming tariff plans came on 1 May 2015. TRAI has reduced ceiling tariffs for national roaming calls and SMS and has mandated telecom service providers (TSPs) to offer a special roaming tariff plan. These changes will come into effect from the 1st May, 2015.
National roaming service is the facility provided to a subscriber to avail services subscribed in its home network, while travelling outside the geographical coverage area of the home network, by means of using a visited network. As per the existing framework for telecom access services, the country has been divided into 22 licensed service areas. Licenses are issued separately for each licensed service area. When a subscriber avails mobile services outside his home network, within the country, national roaming becomes applicable.
Here the New Revised ceiling Tariff Charges on May 1:
- Outgoing local voice call while on national roaming - Re. 0.80 per minute
- Outgoing long distance (inter-circle) voice call while on national roaming - Rs. 1.15 per minute
- Incoming voice call while on national roaming - Re. 0.45 per minute
- Outgoing local Short Message Services (SMS) while on national roaming - Re. 0.25 per SMS
- Outgoing long distance (inter-circle) Short Message Services (SMS) while on national roaming - Re. 0.38 per SMS